How to make the right decisions not everyone knows. However, this fundamentally affects the life of any person. If we act thoughtlessly, sooner or later we will fall into some unpleasant situation.
In this article we will look at a lot of tips that will help you make the right decisions and always be masters of the situation.
This will be useful not only to lovers of psychology, but also to everyone who is not indifferent to personal development.
Why do people make bad decisions
To understand the reason why people make the wrong decisions, you need to take into account many factors. The fact is that even intelligent and wise people sometimes make serious mistakes.
Here are just some of the features that influence wrong decision making:
- lack of time;
- hope for a certain source of information;
- revaluation of own capabilities;
- inability to notice alternative solutions to problems;
- an oversupply of thoughts concerning the problem;
- lack of information;
- fear of making a decision.
All of these factors play a big role in the decision. And the more of them, the harder it is to make the right choice.
By the way, pay attention to cognitive distortions and thinking errors, which also strongly affect us.
Do you know that thoughts affect our feelings, feelings — decisions, and decisions — actions? In this case, all links in this chain can be customized.
360-degree thinking consists of 3 key elements, which together with this are also methods. They help effectively analyze any situation, so that the percentage of making the right decisions increases significantly.
These items are as follows:
- a look into the past;
Given these components of thinking, you can analyze your life or actions at 360 degrees. That is, they work most fruitfully together.
But let's take a closer look at all 3 components.
A look into the past
Looking into the past allows a person to reflect on his actions that have taken place up to the present moment. A person can objectively analyze their actions and understand where mistakes have been made.
Honest self-analysis will help to work on the errors, understand the cause of their appearance and draw the right conclusions. In this way, the individual will try to avoid wrong decisions and strive for the ideal.
For starters, you can analyze your actions yesterday by asking yourself the following questions:
- What did I do yesterday?
- What decisions did I take?
- What problems did I have?
- How did I solve these problems?
- How well did I manage to deal with negative emotions when a problem occurs?
- What do I feel about this?
- How else can you analyze your problems yesterday?
- What lesson can I learn from yesterday’s experience?
- How could I do otherwise?
- What should I work on to make the right decision next time in a similar situation?
It is important to understand that all the above questions need to be asked for a reason and ponder over them. If you treat them with all seriousness, you can extract a lot of valuable information, which in turn will help you make the right decisions in the future.
You should not use the past for decision-making in the future. Each situation is unique in its own way. That is, what is effective today, tomorrow may no longer be relevant. The process of introspection itself is useful because it encourages one to reflect on one’s own actions.
Foresight allows a person to anticipate their future and guess the possible consequences. As a result, he will be able to minimize making mistakes when making decisions. At the same time, foresight is perfectly combined with a look into the past.
In order to have foresight one must learn to solve possible threats and determine one’s own needs in advance. This includes planning as well as collecting useful information that will help you in the future. Ask yourself:
- How will this decision affect the future?
- How will it affect my decisions in the future?
- What are the consequences of this decision?
- What problems will I have?
- If something goes wrong, how will I treat it?
- What are my backup plans?
- What happens if ...?
Foresight is not an exact science, but only increases the chances of making the right decision and avoiding negative consequences.
Insight is the ability to see the hidden truth. Due to this quality, a person can better understand people, as well as analyze different situations.
To truly have insight, one must learn to reflect on the past and be farsighted.
In addition, the individual is obliged to read a lot, to develop himself, to be inquisitive and to strive to understand people. It is important to learn to understand the principles of your thinking and see the essence of things. In a sense, we are talking about intuition.
Watch what happens around and within you. Ask yourself serious questions and have critical thinking. For example:
- Why do I do what I do? What role does this play in my life?
- What do others want and why is it important to them?
- What and why is happening, and what does it mean?
- What is the problem and how did it arise? Why is she still a problem?
- Why do circumstances add up this way?
- When did it happen and why is it so important?
- What is the use of this information, and how can it affect my opinion?
- What other options exist in these circumstances and why are they relevant?
- Why did this happen? What are the reasons for this? What happened up to this point? Is there a relationship?
- What unites these 2 events and why are they interrelated in this way?
- How did this happen? Who is guilty of this? Could it be different?
By asking yourself such questions, you can increase your attentiveness and, ultimately, become insightful. You will be able to find an explanation of why events are developing this way, and whether a different scenario was possible.
In addition, you will begin to reflect on really important and deep thoughts, which you probably never thought of before.
Thus, using 360-degree thinking, you will be able to consider the situation from all possible sides and make the most correct decisions.
The process of making the right decisions
Understanding the purpose
To achieve this goal, you need to understand what resources and potential you have. Answer the following questions:
- What is my goal?
- What exactly do I want to achieve?
- What do I need to achieve the goal?
Achievement of the result
When a person fails to achieve his goal, he can give up or start panicking. However, it is important to understand that it is important to use different methods to implement your ideas.
For example, you decided to buy a washing machine, but the choice of technology is so great that your eyes just run away. In this case, it will be wise to familiarize yourself with the characteristics of the machines, as well as read customer reviews.
From this it follows that many factors influence the decision making.
Track the result
Note for yourself what works and what does not work. Do not waste time on the use of obviously ineffective tools, otherwise you will not learn how to make the right decisions. Think:
- How do I understand that I am moving in the right direction?
- How will I evaluate my progress?
- How do I understand that I implemented my ideas?
The more understanding of what stage you are at, the more correct your decision will be.
Your actions may change from time to time, which is quite normal. For this reason, you must learn to be flexible in different circumstances. Ask yourself:
- What do I ultimately want to achieve?
- What am I doing now?
- Do my actions lead to a goal?
- Can my solutions be called the best?
- What should I change to increase the chance of making the right decision?
Don't panic if you can't reach your goal right away. On the contrary, analyze your actions and look for misses.
Complete decision making process
Below we look at the complete decision making process. It will take much more time, but if you need to solve a really important issue, then it is worth it.
Step 1: Get clarity
Think about how your decision will affect you and your environment. Ponder the following questions:
- What are the options?
- What is the best decision to take?
- Why is it so significant?
- How will it affect the lives of my loved ones?
- Can it change my life?
- Are others aware of the significance of this decision?
When you analyze all this, you will be able to understand how much effort is needed to implement your ideas.
Step 2: Gather Facts and Explore Options
The more information you gather, the more likely it is that your decision will be correct. It can be, for example, about money, time, or human resources. Ask yourself:
- What decision can I take?
- What actions can I do?
- What are the alternatives?
- What do I need for this?
Step 3: Evaluate Pros and Cons
Now it's time to consider all the advantages and disadvantages of each solution. Consider:
- What are the benefits of specific actions?
- What are the cons?
- What are the advantages of one solution over the second?
Reflecting on such issues, you should consider the sacrifices that will have to go in the first and second case.
Step 4: Identify the worst case scenario.
Before making a decision, ask yourself: "What is the worst that can happen if I take this step and how will I cope with the consequences?"
Of course, the worst case scenario is extremely rare, but you should be prepared for it. Due to this, in the case of force majeure, you will be able to quickly restructure and take the most correct decision in specific circumstances.
Step 5: Learn from your experience.
Even when a person makes the wrong decisions, he can benefit from it and gain experience. Mistakes made in the past will help improve the future. Ask yourself:
- What did the experience give me?
- What did I learn from how I make decisions?
- Did I succeed in getting things done?
- Do I take into account the results of past mistakes when faced with difficulties?
There are still many questions that we should ask ourselves. Do not be afraid to think critically when making the right decisions, because this is the only way to achieve the best result.