Interesting facts about Azerbaijan will allow you to learn about the features of this country, located in the east of Transcaucasia. Residents of Azerbaijan are distinguished by hospitality and diligence, thanks to which rich harvests are harvested each year.
So, before you are the most interesting facts about the Republic of Azerbaijan.
21 interesting facts about Azerbaijan
- Azerbaijan is a multi-ethnic country where representatives of many religions live.
- Most of the Azerbaijanis profess Islam, and the smaller - Christianity and Judaism.
- An interesting fact is that Azerbaijan became the first country where the oil well was opened and where the Oil Stones, the oldest oil platform at sea, was located. Curiously, this platform is listed in the Guinness Book of Records.
- The motto of Azerbaijan is "Land of Lights".
- Did you know that the first train in the history of the USSR was launched in Baku - the capital of Azerbaijan? It happened in 1926.
- In the Araz Valley is the most ancient salt deposit on the planet. Here it was mined 5,000 years ago.
- Azerbaijan is the first Muslim state on Earth that has passed to a democratic form of government. Due to this, women managed to achieve the same rights as men.
- Local historians assure that the famous Monomakh Hat was made by Azerbaijani craftsmen. Believe it or not you decide.
- An interesting fact is that Azerbaijan is the world record holder in the number of mud volcanoes.
- Here is Mount Yanar Dag, from the top of which regularly erupts the flames of fire. It is located near the capital, and the flame is located under the mountain gas field.
- According to the World Travel and Tourism Council, Azerbaijan today is ahead of all countries in the field of tourism development.
- In the Soviet era, among all the republics of the USSR, air conditioners were made only in Azerbaijan.
- In Baku, the lake Masazir is located, the water in which has a pink color. It contains large reserves of salt, which are suitable for industrial purposes.
- The pride of Azerbaijan is the Karabakh horse. This horse is distinguished by endurance, speed and high intelligence. An interesting fact is that this breed is bred only here and nowhere else.
- From the end of the 19th century to the beginning of the 20th, a sharp increase in population was observed in Azerbaijan. For 60 years, it has increased by more than 33 times!
- Did you know that Baku at the beginning of the last century had its own Nobel Prize, founded by a relative of Alfred Nobel - Emmanuel? Such a prestigious award was awarded to the person who made the greatest contribution to the development of oil production.
- Residents of Azerbaijan prefer to use tea with jam, seasoned with mint, thyme or rose water.
- Azerbaijani banknotes (manats) are very similar in appearance to the euro.
- In 2014, the carpet museum was solemnly opened in the capital of Azerbaijan. An interesting fact is that the museum is built in the form of a rolled-up carpet.
- From an early age, mothers teach their daughters how to crochet so that those in the future can participate in the national competition - "Seven Beauties". To win it, you need for the minimum time to tie the best pair of socks.
- A traditional sport in Azerbaijan is Chovgan. This team game is considered the forerunner of modern horse polo.